Evaluation Q 3

What have you learned from your audience feedback? 

I found it most productive to address the following in my audience research: what real audiences consume, who are the specific audiences for my genre of music video, and how record labels target those audiences. Initially I researched online looking for data about the industry I am dealing with, such as sales figures for albums. I looked at how marketing of those albums works across a range of media, including radio, TV, websites, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. I also talked to my peers about what they looked out for in a music video. later, I started pitching my ideas for my music video to the rest of the group and to my peers, taking feedback and noting the responses, then deciding how to proceed as a result. I then showed rough cuts of my music video and asked some carefully framed questions about them to get a sense of my audience’s understanding of the product, not just whether they liked it. I asked them questions like: do you think this works when we add this effect here or does the dance move work good with the specific beat, what they thought about the pace of my opening sequence, and what they understood from the change in costumes etc. 

Finally I took audience feedback during later stages again on the finished product. The over all result from my final showing was extremely positive, as everyone seemed to actually enjoy the music video and find it entertaining which was key for me, as you don’t want someone to watch a pop music video and get bored of it. Some people had different opinions, saying that there were too many effects, but I think in a pop music video of this day and age it only makes sense to have an adequate amount of effects, and that’s something majority of the audience agreed with.

Another thing I learnt from my audience feedback was essentially that your product won't please everybody, and not every single person from your target audience is going to like it, or enjoy it, I think I have learnt that the ultimate goal while creating my product was just to achieve the conventional 'pop' music video idea, following the genre as it is, but still adding my personal touch to it as a creator and media student, other wise my work would not be original. I think one of the things that caused so many people from the screening to enjoy my video was that they saw I had not used the conventional size 0 model, or used any kind of extravagant things like luxury cars etc. Which really spoke to the fact that I was creating something to target the majority of my audience, not all of my audience.



Comments