Further Magazine Research | London


While I was in London, I payed a visit to the magazine section in Selfridges as I was intrigued to know if there was a difference in the kind of magazines they set up there, as London is a working phenomenon and Selfridges is one of the luxury places to visit in London for shopping.

I noticed that of course apart from the large variety of magazines they had there, they had a lot of magazines for women compared to men. Men only had a small portion of men's health magazines, where as women had more than 3 entire shelving units dedicated to all things just as women's health magazines, cosmopolitan, house and garden, and lots of wedding related magazines. There were also quite a lot for young girls which I found interesting because that amount of variety is not usually found in normal stores like the WH Smith we visited in the town center. I think this is also a good marketing strategy for Selfridges as apart from toys, they have something that young girls can find an interest in, in terms of reading. 

I however did not spot any plus size women on any of the covers of the magazines. There were definitely women of color on the covers, but all dressed very well and in very good shape. I think that for cities like London it should be made more common to have found plus sized women on magazines. 


Comments